The terrain slowly changed today, from grassy pampas to flat countryside with trees (high and low deciduous beech), and finally to the wonderful mountains of Torres del Paine. These mountains were formed by volcanic activity, unlike the Andes 150km to the west which were formed by collision of tectonic plates.
The last chance to stock up on supplies before Torres del Paine National Park is the town of Puerto Natales. We had a wander along the foreshore and then went into town for lunch. I felt like papas fritas (hot chips) and for $2 I got some of the best chips I’ve ever had. After lunch our 2 guides George and Jonathan joined us; apparently groups always walk in the park with an official guide. We need 2 guides because not everyone will do the full walks, which are up to 22 km long and hard. There are shorter options for those unable or unwilling to walk this far. The walks all have a moderate amount of ascent too.
We stopped at the visitor centre and lookouts on the way in. The views are great; Grey’s glacier is clearly visible, together with the rocky peaks which are dark on top (sedimentary rock) and lighter grey underneath (granite formed from cooling magma). The “torres” (towers) which give their name to the park are not visible from this side.
There are 3 women travelling alone in the group so we rotate sharing rooms and having a room to ourselves. Tonight I have the single room and it has a view towards the mountains. I have no complaints!!
And right now as I sit in the lounge, glass of Calafate Sour in hand, admiring the mountains outside the window, I’m thinking that life is pretty good.
No comments:
Post a Comment